The holiday season is here! Well, it’s almost here, and if you are like us, all things hosting are coming to mind. As we gear up to gather around the table with our loved ones from near and far, we want to ensure that the atmosphere and tablescape are looking just as good as the food. Yep, we love creating those special moments with our loved ones with a signature designer twist. We can’t help it!
Yes, it’s always a nice touch to have a beautiful table setting to look at and take photos of, but there’s much more to it. It’s about creating an atmosphere for memories to be made, creating an ambiance that allows everyone to be present and submerged in the moment, and providing a nurturing space for all to unwind and feel gratitude for all that is good. Anyone else getting warm fuzzy feels?
So let’s get down to business, shall we? Check out our top five tips on how to curate a show-stopping tablescape so that you and yours can feast in style.
1. Color Palette: You know we are lovers of all things neutral and earth-toned here, so it should be of no surprise what direction our color scheme will be going. However, if you want to make your palette feel more seasonal and fit for the holidays, we recommend going with some burnt orange hues, deep olive greens, or a rich navy to ensure that your table won’t feel too “cheesy” holiday. It leaves you the option to use these tabletop pieces year-round, too.
2. Layer in Textures: We are talking about real tablecloths, woven placemats, & linen napkins, people. No paper napkins and tablecloths here! This is your moment to consider your color palette, and you can use those textiles to elevate the dining experience and bring the table some soul.
3. Florals & Foliage: Let’s bring the table to life! We are huge fans of garland running down the center of the table – eucalyptus or pine is always a favorite! Also, consider going for a neighborhood stroll and foraging some greenery along the way. If you want to go more of a centerpiece route, consider grouping together a few collected vases with some seasonal, fresh cuts or even dried florals, too. Our last little hot tip here is to save a few pieces of your cooking herbs for your placemat settings! A rosemary spring tucked into each guest’s napkin can add such a special touch.
4. Add Decor: The décor is your chance to hone in and create the tone of the environment. Taper candlesticks are the perfect way to create mood lighting while creating a warm and intimate setting for your guests. Consider staggering candlesticks throughout the length of the table so that the whole table can equally feel the ambiance.
5. Add Dinnerware: It’s time to add in plates, glassware, & flatware. Depending on the food and drink, start selecting the appropriate serving bowls, decanters, gravy boats, and water pitchers. If you want to go for a more organic and eclectic route, we love the look of mix-and-matching ceramics, dishware, and materiality, too. A collected home is a happy home.
Feeling inspired to level up your tablescape game for the upcoming holiday hosting? We curated some special selections from South Harlow Home that are sure to flow with just about any color palette or tablescape aesthetic. Happy holidays friends, and happy shopping!